Preventing Spinal Arthritis with Good Posture
Arthritis in the spine, or spinal arthritis, brings soreness or chronic pain in the lower spine's vertebrae.
Individuals with spinal arthritis may experience muscle spasms, decreased range of motion, and these symptoms:
- Creaking sounds from painful joints
- A burning sensation after a physical activity
- Stiffness and pain in the joint are when waking up
Spinal Arthritis Causes
Arthritis in the spine is not a condition but a symptom of the following conditions:
- Enteropathic arthritis connected with ulcerative colitis and inflammatory bowel disease
- Reactive arthritis coming from a bacterial infection such as salmonella or chlamydia
- Psoriatic arthritis affects individuals with psoriasis, an autoimmune disorder that causes patches of inflamed and itchy skin.
- Osteoarthritis which causes the bones of the spine to push and grind against each other when you move
4 Tips to Prevent Spinal Arthritis
Your gender, family history, and age play a role in whether you will develop arthritis. However, there are practical tips you can do to reduce pressure on your spine and prevent the onset of spinal arthritis, which includes the following:
1. Maintain Correct Posture
Avoid slouching and hunching your back when sitting, standing, or walking to prevent the development of musculoskeletal pain and diseases.
Your chiropractic doctor can also perform spinal manipulation and cervical spine adjustments to realign your neck and spine to maintain your spine's sagittal balance.
2. Move Carefully
Avoid overexerting your back when lifting, pulling, and pushing heavy objects. Always practice lifting with your knees and not with your back or use equipment to do heavy-duty work to avoid putting too much pressure on your spine.
3. Choose Low-Impact Exercises
Choose physical activities that don't put too much strain on your back, like swimming, yoga, and stretching.
4. Maintain Your Ideal Weight and Body Mass Index (BMI)
When you are obese or overweight, you bring extra weight and pressure to your joints, making them weak and brittle over time.
Check your weight regularly, exercise, and maintain a healthy diet to reach your ideal BMI and keep your joints healthy.
Prevent Spinal Arthritis with Chiropractic Care
Dr. James J Hether, DC, is highly experienced in providing chiropractic care to help prevent spinal arthritis development in your body.
Experience the benefits of non-invasive, painless, and drug-free treatments that take care of your spine, overall health, and well-being.
Call Dr. James J. Hether's office at (386) 734 0702 to know more about chiropractic care treatments to prevent spinal arthritis and schedule an appointment.